Friday, March 13, 2009

Cinderella, Evansville, IN


Cinderella frontman Tom Keifer screams out a song during the band's "Heartbreak Station" tour in about 1991 or '92 at Roberts Stadium in Evansville, IN.

I don't remember any good stories about Cinderella, but I do remember a funny one about Kip Winger opening for them in 1989.

If you're a fan of 80's hair metal, you'll remember Kip as the bass player for Alice Cooper before forming his own band Winger. I saw them open for Cinderella at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City, SD in 1989.

As a local DJ dramatically announced the band, Kip came sprinting across the stage directly toward my seat. As he reached the end of stage right and started to slow down, his feet slipped out from under him. I was looking right into his eyes as they grew about three sizes and he hit the stage hard on his rear end. He quickly rolled over into a sitting position with his feet dangling off the front of the stage and didn't miss a beat playing the first song.

Sorry Kip, you didn't fool me, I saw the fear in your eyes. But it sounded good and what a great entrance.

No comments: