Monday, March 23, 2015

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Mankato, MN

I love rock and roll, and I love Joan Jett. There's just something about this woman that oozes "cool." She's got "it."

I'd been wanting to share my experience of seeing Joan Jett and the Blackhearts live with my son Cody Coppess for a long time and we finally accomplished it on a night of all-female lead Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member bands. The Blackhearts opened for Heart on March 18, 2015 at the Verizon Wireless Center in Mankato, Minnesota.

Cody's evaluation was that Heart is musically a better band, but Joan is "way cooler." After my seventh time seeing her and second time seeing Heart, I'd agree.




Longtime Blackhearts guitarist Dougie Needles certainly fits the punk mold.





I wasn't able to shoot any pictures of Heart after a security guard decided my lens was too long and told me to stop. I understand that kind of thing isn't a new rule, but seems a bit ridiculous any more when there are thousands of cell phones taking video throughout the show.

Heart sounded great. For those who are wondering, yes Ann Wilson still has the voice. Along with their big hits, they did Paul McCartney's "Let Me Roll It," Aretha Franklin's "Aint No Way," and three Led Zeppelin songs as an encore which was really cool.

Check out previous pictures of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts here.


No comments: