Saturday, March 15, 2008

Gary Mule Deer, Spearfish, SD

Here's another home-grown South Dakota comedian - Gary Mule Deer. Gary's been at his act for a lot of years, appeared in movies and TV, and on concert stages all over the country, yet still never hit it really huge. I'm not sure why.

He has the attention of his peers. Will Ferrell was asked by ESPN Magazine if it was the ninth inning of the Comedy World Series, who would he want on the pitcher's mound. His answer - Gary Mule Deer.

Gary attended Black Hills State College in Spearfish, South Dakota. This appearance was at an alumni reunion in July of 2001.

As soon as I approached the stage with my camera, Gary grabbed his. I don't know how his picture of me turned out, but I got this.



One of Gary's signature gags is tying a rubber chicken to his microphone stand, blindfolding it, and then executing it with arrows shot from his guitar strings.



The guitar is not just a prop, either. Gary does a very good Johnny Cash impression and has formed the "Duck and Cover" band with Steve Wariner and several other Nashville musicians.

Check out more about Gary at www.garymuledeer.com

On a side note, I went to high school with Gary's son Shawn Bitz. Shawn has his own band called "Abby Someone" that appears around the Black Hills area.

No comments: